1) Tell her to take time off work and arrange for everything to be covered for a week (but don’t tell her where you will be going). Make all the plans for a week’s vacation in a five-star resort in Mexico. Propose one evening at a restaurant with serenading mariachis. You can have the diamond ready in your pocket.
2) Order a dozen red roses and pick them up yourself at the shop. Write the card to say, “Will you marry me?” and put the diamond in a presentation box with the roses. Present the flowers during a candlelight dinner for two at home (cater if you can’t cook).
3) Mail her a romantic poem from Shakespeare or Browning. Include a photo of yourself on your knees with a diamond in your hand, and write on the back in marker, “Will you marry me?” Be ready, hiding outside her house when she normally opens her mail, and go inside with the diamond in hand when you hear her scream with joy.
4) For the serious netizens — E-mail a 3-D animated graphic of a loose diamond, with the message, “Will you marry me?” If you can, time the delivery of the e-mail when you can be there in person to see her reaction and get your answer.
5) During a vacation at one of the fancy hotels that leaves chocolates or mints on the pillow each morning — Sneak back after she leaves the room for breakfast, make the bed, put out the “Do not disturb” sign. Leave the diamond in a special box on the pillow in place of the mints so she finds it when you get back.